Although you never think it can happen to you, basements floods occur in over a million homes yearly. If you live at the bottom of a hill or on a low-graded lot, you may be at an increased risk of basement floods. Even if you live in a dry climate, your basement can flood from a busted pipe or an improper drainage system.

It’s best to understand the health risks associated with flooding before you find yourself with water in your basement. Even if it’s just a small amount of water, you and your family could be at risk of several health concerns. Contacting a professional to assess the overall damage and potential risks could save you money in the long run and even protect your family from serious illnesses.


One of the most harmful and sometimes difficult to detect health risks associated with basement floods is mold. If you’ve experienced standing water in your basement, you should immediately contact an expert for mold removal. Talking with a professional as soon as possible could limit the overall damage and help keep your family safe. 

Even if it was a small flood, it’s best to have a professional assessment before it’s too late. Typically, if you can visibly see the mold, it’s already been growing in your home for a while. There are over ten types of mold that can develop as a result of water damage, leaving you and your family at risk of respiratory, sinus, and skin illnesses. 

Contaminated Water 

Depending on the origin of the flood, you may be at risk of having contaminated water. You should have your water tested if the flood resulted from excess rainwater, improper draining systems, or a busted septic pipe. A flooded basement could easily result in water contamination because small microorganisms can penetrate your clean water systems and contaminate your supply. 

If the flood occurs from a natural disaster such as a flood or hurricane, your local drinking water could be at risk, so you should check with your local providers to see if there are any toxic materials in the water. For floods occurring in your own home, checking with a professional to assess the water damage could alert you of any possible contamination.

Carbon Monoxide 

Many homeowners don’t realize that one of the very serious risks of flooding is the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. When the basement floods, there’s a chance the water could extinguish the pilot light for your furnace or hot water heater. While this doesn’t seem like a big deal, it can lead to an improper reading of gas in the air and could put you at risk of breathing in carbon monoxide. 

If the pilot light is not reading the levels, your home could easily fill with natural gas, resulting in serious illness that could even turn fatal. It’s imperative to check your pilot lights and any appliances that use natural gas after a flooded basement. A simple walk through the basement could save your family from the horrors of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Get a Free Estimate Today! 

If you’ve experienced a flooded basement, call us at 888-776-4629 or fill out our request form for a free estimate. If you have specific questions about how we can help, you can fill out the online contact form, and one of our staff members will quickly get back to you. 

With 80 years of experience, we proudly serve our communities with safety as our top priority and look forward to restoring your home to keep your family safe.